An official search is a confirmation by the respective land registry on behalf of the government giving details of the ownership and status of a particular title (pertaining to a given piece of land).
Details contained in the search document will include:
1. Title number, search number and the date the search was done;
2. Nature of title: Absolute/freehold or leasehold;
3. Approximate Area in hectares;
4. Name and address of proprietor and whether a title deed has been issued to the proprietor;
5. A section on inhibitions, cautions and restrictions;
6. Encumbrances section (leases, charges etc);
7. Pending applications.
The search document details are filled based on the content of the green card and must be signed and sealed by the Registrar.
For a title to be clean, then No.s 5, 6 & 7 must be nil. If not, and especially No. 6, a charge entry must have a corresponding discharge entry to free the charge. A title with any unresolved issues in Nos 5 to 7 is not transferrable.
B.A. LAND ECON. (HONS) UON, G.M.I.S.K, (V.S), CCM.
+254 722 483 414.